Italian Rainbow Cookies
These Italian Rainbow cookies are my friend Sophie’s favorite. I made these for her birthday, and I couldn’t believe how great they tasted. I will definitely be making these again, but they are very time consuming (about 8-10 hours in total) so probably not for a while.
These cookies have 3 layers of almond paste cake filled with raspberry jam. They are then topped and bottomed with more almond paste and covered in dark chocolate.
Italian Rainbow Cookies (about 75 cookies)
- 20 oz almond paste (I made my own and used this recipe)
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed, at room temp
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp green food coloring
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped, melted (add a little slice of butter for easier slicing)
- 3 13×9 baking pans
- Preheat oven to 350° Line three 13x9x2″ metal baking pans with foil, leaving overhang; grease with 2 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- Put egg whites in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk; beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cover; chill. Using the paddle attachment, beat 12 oz almond paste and remaining sugar on medium-low until incorporated, 4–5 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium-high; gradually add remaining butter. Beat until fluffy. Beat in yolks, then flour and salt. Fold in whites in 2 additions.
- Divide batter evenly among 3 bowls. Mix red coloring into 1 bowl and green coloring into second bowl; leave third bowl plain.
- Spread 1 bowl of batter into each prepared pan; smooth tops. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until just set, 9–11 minutes. Let cool in pans.
- Once cooled, begin to layer the cakes. With a spatula, spread half of marmalade over red cake. Using foil overhang, lift plain layer out of pan. Invert onto red layer; discard foil. Brush remaining marmalade over plain layer. Lift green layer out of pan; invert onto plain layer and cover cake with foil.
- Now we need to weigh down the layers. Top the cake with a 13x9x2″ pan. Weigh down pan with several heavy canned goods to compress cake layers. Refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- After refrigeration, remove cans, top pan, and foil. Transfer cake to a waxed paper–lined baking sheet.
- Slice off edges to create a perfect rectangular shape.
- Cover the top of the cake with almond paste (about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick).
- Now Slice lengthwise into 2 inch long logs.
- Next, spread half of chocolate over top and sides of each log in a thin layer. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Now flip each log and cover the exposed side with more almond paste.
- Spread remaining chocolate over the exposed side of the log and freeze for 10 minutes again.
- Remove logs from the freezer and slice. Each cookie should be about a half inch thick.