Lemon Meringue Pie
It has been a long time since I last posted. This year has been a busy, but great, last year of college and the time has flown by. I have baked many things since I last updated in August, and I will continue to upload them to More Sprinkles over the next couple of weeks.
This Lemon Meringue Pie was for my friend Tatiana’s birthday. Lemon Meringue is known among all our friends to be one of her favorite desserts, and she has been begging me to make one for a couple years now, so I thought this would be the perfect birthday gift.
This Lemon Meringue Pie has a shortbread cookie crust and homemade lemon curd filling with a burnt meringue on top!
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yoks (keep your whites for the meringue)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
Lemon Curd Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In your stand mixer, cream the butter and the sugar. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- On low speed, stir in the flour. The result will be grainy.
- Wrap parchment paper completely around the removable bottom of your 9 inch tart pan. The excess paper should be wrapped around the bottom of the pan.
- With your fingertips press the dough into the pan, starting by pressing the sides first and bottom after.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Next start making the Lemon Curd.
- In a saucepan, bring the lemon juice and butter to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- In another saucepan, with a whisk, combine the eggs, sugar, and salt until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the hot juice and butter mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. (Be sure to remove the mixture from the heat whenever if starts to boil, return to heat once the boiling stops).
- Strain the filling through a sieve. Pour into the crust and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Let cool and then refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
- Now Prepare the Meringue by whipping the egg whites and cream of tartar in a stand mixer on medium-high speed until foamy, about 2 minutes.
- Next gradually beat in the sugar on high speed until the whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks.
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag, fit with a 1M wilton tip. Pipe swirls or peaks onto the cooled pie.
- Set your oven to broil and place the pie on the highest shelf.
- Watch the meringue and remove from the heat once it begins to brown.
- Refrigerate and Enjoy!